29 Sep crab on toast
Before we get stuck into the deep, earthy flavours of autumn, we’re keeping it light this week with two September ingredients that feel like a last hurrah for the summer. Pick up a pot of fresh Irish crab meat from your fishmongers or good supermarket to create an indulgent toasty snack.
Crab on Toast
Prep time: 10 minutes
4 slices of sourdough (or your favourite toasting bread)
4 heaped tablespoons of mayonnaise
200g of crabmeat
Half a lime
- Start by toasting your bread.
- Meanwhile, grate the zest of half your orange into your mayonnaise. Slice the orange in half and squeeze in 1 tablespoon of orange juice. Mix well.
- When your toast is ready, smear a little bit of orange mayonnaise on the toast. Top with the crabmeat.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado flesh with a fork until smooth. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well before adding a spoonful to the crab on toast.
- Top with another dollop of orange mayonnaise. Finish with a final grating of orange zest, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
This recipe first appeared in The Irish Independent on September 10th