31 Dec devilled salmon eggs
It’s New Year’s Eve! Time to welcome the beginning of a new year. If you’re having friends and family over tonight, you could add these little bites to your buffet table. With the devilled eggs, make them ahead of time and just save the final garnishes of smoked salmon, paprika and dill until the last minute.
Devilled Salmon Eggs
Makes 12 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
1 tablespoon of cream cheese
1 teaspoon Dijon
1 tablespoon mayo
2 teaspoons lemon juice
50g of smoked salmon
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Place the eggs in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and bubble for 8 to 10 minutes so that you have hard-boiled eggs.
- Remove the eggs and allow to cool. Once cool, carefully peel the eggs and slice them in half. Carefully remove the egg yolks and place in a mixing bowl. Arrange the egg yolks on a serving platter.
- To the egg yolks, add the cream cheese, Dijon, mayo, lemon juice and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Mix really well, using a fork to combine until smooth. This will keep in the fridge for at least a day.
- When you’re ready to serve, place the egg yolk mixture into a piping bag (cut a hole into the corner of a plastic sandwich bag if you don’t have a piping bag) and squeeze the egg yolk mixture into the centre of the egg white half.
- Top each egg with a thin slice or two of smoked salmon. Sprinkle with a small dusting of smoked paprika and top with a fresh sprig of dill.
This recipe first appeared in The Irish Independent on December 31st 2015