15 Jul eggs + chorizo
Eggs are a comforting choice for supper. I always feel like it’s a little retro to crack an egg at teatime, evoking a ham, egg and chips scenario. This week, I’ve soft-boiled an egg and served it with crumbled chorizo on toast. I try to use organic eggs when I can because I believe the birds are treated better and, to me, that makes their eggs taste richer.
Egg & Chorizo
Serves 1 (easily doubled)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
100g of chorizo (we like Gubbeen Smokehouse chorizo)
2 organic eggs
2 slices of crusty bread, to toast
A few leaves of fresh basil
- Remove the outer skin from the chorizo. Roughly chop or use your hand to crumble the chorizo into small pieces. Fry over a medium to high heat until cooked through and releasing oils.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Carefully place the egg in the water and boil for 6 minutes. Remove from the hot water and rinse under cold water to stop it from cooking further.
- Toast the slices of bread.
- Carefully peel the eggs. Remember, these are soft-boiled eggs so they need a bit of extra care.
- Divide the crumbled chorizo between the two slices of toast. Slice the eggs and place them on top of the chorizo. Top with a pinch of salt and pepper. Finish with a few torn leaves of fresh basil.
This recipe first appeared in The Irish Independent on June 25th