18 Oct pancakes with blackberries
Here’s something for your sweet tooth. Swap the blackberries for raspberries or blueberries to make your favourite compote.
pancakes with blackberries (serves 4)
400g frozen or fresh blackberries
75g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ a teaspoon of cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 heaped teaspoon of butter
Greek yogurt, to serve
- Make your compote first by putting all the ingredients into a medium saucepan with 1 tbsp water. Stir and simmer gently over a low heat for 15 minutes until warm and syrupy. Set aside to cool.
- Now make the pancakes by mixing together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Melt the teaspoon of butter over a gentle heat. Beat the egg into the milk, and then add the melted butter, mixing until well combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and whisk in the egg, milk and butter mixture into the flour to make a thick smooth batter.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Drop a large tablespoon of the batter per pancake into the pan, making three or four pancakes at a time. Cook for about 3 minutes over a medium heat until small bubbles appear on the surface of each pancake, then turn and cook another 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Keep the pancakes warm while you use up the rest of the batter. Serve with a dollop of blackberry compote topped with a spoonful of Greek yogurt or crème fraiche, whichever you prefer.
This recipe first appeared in Insider Magazine in The Irish Independent on October 16th