06 Nov parsnip soup
As winter draws nearer, we’ll be getting ready for comforting suppers like slow-cooked stews and flaky pastry topped pies. We’ll also be dipping into our soup recipe collection to keep warm.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter
1 small white onion
2 cloves of garlic
700g of parsnips
1.2l vegetable stock
1 tablespoon of honey
2 tablespoons of cream
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a medium to high heat heat.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion, garlic and parsnips.
- Add the vegetables to the butter and fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 25 minutes, or until the parsnips are softened and cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and use a hand-held blender to blitz the soup until smooth. Allow to cool and mix in the honey and cream. Serve with finely chopped chives and walnuts.
This recipe first appeared in The Irish Independent on November 5th