08 Jan pork noodle broth
Another bowl based wonder for Janaury, this simple pork ball noodle broth is comforting and just the ticket for a cold evening.
pork ball noodle broth
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
250g pork mince
1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh coriander
Half a teaspoon of chilli flakes
1 teaspoon of salt
Half a teaspoon of pepper
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of finely grated ginger
1 garlic clove, finely grated
900ml chicken stock
75g of Udon noodles
4 leaves of pak choi
1 tablespoon of freshly chopped coriander
½ a red chilli, finely sliced
1 lime, halved
- Mix the pork mince in a large bowl. Add the finely chopped fresh coriander, chilli flakes, salt and pepper and mix well. Form into small meatballs with your hands and set aside. You should get about eight meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium to high heat. Cook the meatballs in batches for 4 to 5 minutes each, or until they start to brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pour the chicken stock into a medium sized saucepan and add the grated ginger and grated garlic. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add the pork meatballs and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the pork balls are cooked through.
- Add the noodles and cook for 3 minutes, or according to the packet’s instructions. Add the pak choi for the last minute of cooking.
- Divide the noodles between two bowls. Pour the chicken stock over the noodles. Divide the pak choi and pork balls evenly between the bowls. Top with slices of red chilli and serve with a slice of lime.
This recipe first appeared in The Irish Independent on January 7th