30 Oct roasted cauliflower salad
In my youth, cauliflower was the enemy; an over-boiled, soggy mess I waged war against when faced with it at the dinner table. As I became more interested in food, I slowly began to rediscover vegetables that I had once written off. Cauliflower was an early rediscovery that triumphed.
This recipe has been my way of conquering a fear of cauliflower. It is inspired by the flavours of The Middle East, where they treat vegetables very well. The florets are roasted in spices rather than boiled in water, and the finished salad is drizzled with an orange blossom water and honey dressing, which, to me, embodies the spirit of Marrakech.
In our video to accompany this recipe, we wanted to celebrate the shape of this lovely ingredient and reintroduce its potential to those of you who may not have rediscovered it yet.
Thanks to our friends at Arran Street East for lending us some of their beautiful pots and saucers to use in this video.
Thanks to Embrz for the use of his track Lights.
Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Orange Blossom Honey
By Aoife McElwain
1 large head of cauliflower (or two medium ones)
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
Half a level teaspoon of cinnamon
Half a teaspoon of ground ginger
Half a teaspoon of sumac
1 head of garlic, sliced in half
2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of flaked almonds
Half a pomegranate
A handful of fresh mint
About 50g of feta cheese
1 tablespoon of orange blossom water (you’ll find this in a good Middle Eastern or specialist food store)
4 tablespoons of honey
- Pre-heat your oven to 190c/170c fan/gas mark 5.
- Chop or break the cauliflower into florets and give them a wash. Place into a roasting dish. Sprinkle with the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, ginger and sumac.
- Slice the garlic bulb in half and place around cauliflower. Drizzle with olive oil and mix everything together. Slice the lemons into rounds and place around cauliflower.
- Place in the oven and roast in oven for 30 to 35 minutes. The cauliflower edges will have started to singe but it will still have a good crunch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, get all of your toppings ready. Toast your almonds in a dry pan over a medium to high heat for 3 minutes. Then, remove the seeds from the pomegranate. Finely chop the mint. Mix together the orange blossom water and honey.
- Pour the cauliflower into a large serving bowl. Season with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Sprinkle with feta, toasted almonds, pomegranate seeds, and fresh mint. Drizzle the orange blossom honey dressing on salad and serve.