23 Oct simple chicken broth
As the colder weather creeps in, we welcome it with hearty soups and comforting broths. This week’s cavalo nero broth is a kind of winter minestrone. It uses the dark greens of cavalo nero, which grows quite happily in Ireland at this time of year, and pairs it with chorizo and cannellini beans. Our light chicken broth is beefed up with couscous and served with a dollop of yogurt. It’s great if you’re feeling poorly, or if you just need a hug in bowl form.
Simple Chicken Broth
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
500ml of good quality chicken stock
100g of couscous
A large handful of cooked chicken, shredded
Handful of fresh mint
- Place the chicken stock in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Peel and slice the carrot into chunks. Add to the chicken stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the couscous and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the couscous has softened.
- Add the shredded chicken and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until the chicken has warmed through.
- Finely shred the mint. Pour the chicken broth into bowls and scatter with fresh mint. Serve with a crack of black pepper.
Storecupboard Essential: Couscous
Having a box of these durum wheat granules in your press can make a meal out of a few spare vegetables. It’s a staple food throughout North Africa and has been happily adopted as a spud substitute here at home.
This recipe first appeared in The Irish Independent on October 15th