27 Sep smoked salmon + cucumber pickle
This Asian-style super quick cucumber pickle makes for a pretty marvellous sandwich filler.
smoked salmon + cucumber pickle
1 cucumber (the seedless variety works best for pickling)
1 teaspoon of salt
60ml rice wine vinegar (you can use white wine vinegar too)
50g of sugar
½ teaspoon of chilli flakes
1. Wash your cucumber. Drag a fork along the edge of the cucumber, cutting into the skin. This gives your pickle a pretty serrated edge.
2. Finely slice your cucumber and put into a large bowl.
3. Sprinkle the salt over the sliced cucumber and mix well. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
4. Rinse the cucumbers well in a colander. Drain off any excess liquid before putting back into a mixing bowl.
5. Meanwhile, mix the rice wine vinegar and sugar together until the sugar dissolves. Pour this mixutre over the cucumbers. Add the chilli flakes and mix well.
6. Transfer to a sterilized mason or jam jar. Refrigerate for an hour before serving. We love ours on top of slices of bread smeared in Dijon mustard and layers of our favourite Irish smoked salmon.
This recipe first appeared in Insider Magazine in The Irish Independent on September 25th