10 Jul courgette tart
The ricotta base of this courgette tart is a winner. You can replace the courgettes with leeks or beets or bacon or peas, so versatile is it as a tart base.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 – 30 minutes
Serves 4 to 6
1 medium sized courgette
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
1 tablespoon of Parmesan, finely grated
2 garlic cloves, finely grated
1 x sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
Freshly chopped mint, to serve
Zest of half a lemon, to serve
- Wash and slice the courgette into rounds. Place them in bowl with the olive oil and chilli flakes, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the ricotta, egg, grated garlic, the Parmesan together. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix again.
- Roll out the sheet of pastry onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Spread the ricotta mix over the pastry sheet, leaving a border of about 2cm around the edge of the pastry.
- Place the courgettes into the ricotta mix, arranging them in tidy rows if you like.
- Fold the pastry in at the edges to create a border so the mix doesn’t ooze out while it’s cooking. You can make this as neat or as rustic as you like.
- Cook in an oven, pre-heated to 200c / 180c fan / Gas Mark 6, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve the tart hot or cold, with a fresh grating of lemon zest and freshly chopped mint sprinkled over the top to serve.
This recipe first appeared in The Irish Independent on 9th July