06 Jun grilled aubergine with pomegranate + tahini
If you don’t fancy meat this week, try the meaty aubergine with our accompanying tahini sauce instead.
Grilled Aubergine with Pomegranates and Tahini
1 large aubergine
2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus more for cooking
1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
Pinch of salt
Crack of black pepper
For the tahini dressing
1 tablespoon of tahini
2 tablespoons yogurt
2 tablespoons of water
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 clove of garlic, finely grated
2 tablespoons of crumbled feta
2 tablespoons of pomegranate seeds
Freshly chopped mint
- Slice the aubergine into thin slices. Cut the slices in half if they’re very long. Brush evenly with olive oil and sprinkle with chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil on a griddle pan (if you don’t have a griddle pan, a frying pan will do just fine. The griddle pan just makes the aubergine look nice).
- Fry the aubergines for 5 to 10 minutes on either side, or until cooked through. Set aside while you cook through your aubergine slices in batches.
- Make your tahini dressing by mixing together the tahini, yogurt, water, lemon juice and finely grated garlic.
- Arrange the aubergine slices on a serving platter. Scatter the crumbled feta on top. Drizzle with the tahini sauce. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and finish with some freshly chopped mint.
Storecupboard Essential – Tahini
Tahini is made from ground sesame seeds and is the essential ingredient in hummus. Available in most large supermarkets and specialist food shops, it has a long fridge life and works exceedingly well as an accompanying sauce to Middle Eastern-inspired suppers.
This recipe first appeared in The Irish Independent on May 14th